We publish one issue per year, in two volumes: June and November. The June volume is weighted toward creative and creative-critical pieces, while the November volume is weighted toward scholarly articles. We also hold a conference in January. All calls are published here.
Volume 12: November 2020: Submissions window 6th April 2020 - 15th August 2020
Conference, January 2021: Submissions window 3rd Sept 2020 - 14th Oct 2020
Volume 13, Issue 1: June 2021: Submissions window 1st Dec 2020 - 28th February 2021
Volume 13, Issue 2: November 2021: Submissions window 15th May 2021 - 15th July 2021
Any articles or creative work received outside of the submissions windows will not be considered.
We accept submissions of books for review year-round. Please see the Submission Portal for details.
The submissions window for Volume 13, Issue 1 is open.
We are looking for writing which will foster conversation and connections under the banner “Follow the Sun”. This is the title of our January 2021 Conference, and it also expresses our aspirations for the journal as a positive international force.
Your work might:
- cross from East to West, traversing borders of language, culture or experience;
- migrate across the equator, between the Global North and South, aware of concomitant inter-cultural or cross-cultural encounters;
- explore the migrancy of ideas, which have a freedom of movement of their own;
- be inspired by the sun itself: light and shadow as symbols across cultures; the physical experience of migration from warmth to cold, or vice versa; the role of the sun in the colonial imagination, as a few examples;
- explore concerns of global heating and climate change, especially as an international problem;
- comment on the theme of the conference: ‘place and displacement’.
These suggestions are not intended to be comprehensive, – we look forward to discovering novel ideas through your writing. We are keen to read more work-in-translation, as well as work originally in English.
Our June 2021 issue will be co-produced by creative writing incubator, Paper Nations, and will feature creative pieces (prose, poetry, memoir etc) and more creative-critical articles; the space available for scholarly articles will be reduced as a consequence. Writers of scholarly articles may wish to wait for our Nov 2021 call.
It is essential that you read our Submission Guidelines on the Submission Portal page before sending us your work.